ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) recently unveiled its latest line of gaming laptops including its new headlining model the ROG Zephyrus Duo 15, which features a 14.1-inch ROG ScreenPad Plus secondary touchscreen that sits above the laptop’s keyboard.
The Zephyrus Duo 15’s secondary display, which it takes from last year’s ZenBook Pro Duo, features a 4K (3840 x 1100) IPS display that tilts up at a 13-degree angle when the laptop’s top cover is opened. Much like the ZenBook Pro Duo’s secondary display, the ROG ScreenPad Plus can be used not only as a regular secondary display but also integrate with several compatible games and applications to display useful controls and information on the screen.
The ScreenPad Plus also serves as an integral part of the laptop’s new Active Aerodynamic System (AAS) Plus cooling system. When the laptop is opened and the ScreenPad Plus title upwards, a 28.5mm air intake is exposed beneath it. The intake draws in cool air from above the laptop rather than from below. According to ASUS, the new intake increases airflow by up to 30% over previous AAS implementations from previous Zephyrus models.
The Zephyrus Duo 15 will also be available with two 15.6-inch main display variants. One features a 4K IPS panel with a refresh rate of 60Hz and a 100% Adobe RGB color gamut, while the other is a 1080p IPS panel with a whopping 300Hz refresh rate, 3ms response time, and a 100% sRGB color gamut. Both displays are also Pantone Validated and support NVIDIA’s G-Sync and Optimus technologies.
Powering the Zephyrus Duo 15 is one of the latest 10th generation Intel Core processors (up to an 8-core Intel Core i9) as well as an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super or RTX 2070 Super. To keep the laptop’s CPU cool, ASUS is using Thermal Grizzly’s liquid metal compound rather than typical thermal paste, a standard that the company is rolling out across its entire new lineup of laptops with 10th generation Intel Core processors.
The Zephyrus Duo 15 is also equipped with a 90 Wh battery and can also be equipped with up to 48GB of combined onboard and SO-DIMM memory and up to 2TB of NVMe PCIe x4 SSDs (in RAID 0). Other features of the Zephyrus Duo 15 include WiFi 6 (802.11ax) connectivity, Gigabit Ethernet, an HDMI 2.0b port, and several USB 3.2 ports. In spite of its design and all its features and specifications, the Zephyrus Duo 15 only weighs about 2.4kg and measures only 20.9mm thin.
ASUS has yet to announce the availability and pricing of the Zephyrus Duo 15 but more information should become available in the coming weeks.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 Specifications:
- CPU: Intel Core i9-10980HK or Intel Core i7-10875H
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
- Main Display: 15.6-inch UDH (3840 x 2160), IPS Panel 60Hz, 100% Adobe RGB or 15.6-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS Panel 300Hz/3ms, 100% sRGB
- Secondary Display: ScreenPad Plus 14.1-inch UHD (3840 x 1100) IPS 60Hz NTSC 72%, Touchscreen
- Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz onboard, plus 1x SO-DIMM slot up to 32GB (supports up to 48GB total)
- Storage: 2x M.2 SSD slot, M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 512GB/1TB, supports RAID 0
- Keyboard: Backlit chiclet keyboard, supports n-key rollover, per-key RGB lighting, 1.4mm key travel
- Audio: 2x 4W speakers with Smart AMP technology, ESS + Hi-Res Audio (HRA) Certification, Nahimic Sonic Studio + ISST
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth: 2×2 multi-antenna WiFi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.0
- I/O Ports:
- 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C with DisplayPort 1.4, Thunderbolt 3, and Power Delivery 3.0
- 2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A
- 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A
- 1x HDMI 2.0b
- 1x 3.5mm headphone and microphone combo jack
- 1x 3.5mm microphone jack
- 1x RJ45
- Battery/Power Supply: 90Wh, 240W power adapter, supports USB Type-C Power Delivery 3.0 up to 65W
- Size: 36 x 26.8 x 2.1cm
- Weight: 2.4kg