Magic: The Gathering maker Wizards of the Coast has announced that it is holding a virtual art exhibition alongside the launch of its new Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty set. The exhibit, which will be open from February 18 to 24 2022, will feature 134 pieces from 83 artists who drew the card art for the new set.
Some of the artists that drew the card art for the Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty set include Tetsuo Hara of Fist of the North Star fame, Yoji Shinkawa (Art Director, Kojima Productions Co., Ltd. ), and Katsuya Terada (the character designer of Kamen Rider W).
The virtual art exhibition will feature five different content features. Here are the details, according to Wizards of the Coast:
- Into the Card Art – Enjoy the fusion of Japanese mythology and technology in the world of Kamigawa – 1200 years have passed since we last visited this plane. Descend into the concept art of Towashi and the Boseiju. View the exhibition in an urban setting that expands around you.
- Viewing Experience Evolves in a Virtual World – In a new art viewing experience, take the art in your hand and pull it toward you. You will see commentary by the artist him or herself, behind-the-scenes rough sketches, and a card that you can hold in your hand and gaze upon right in front of you.
- A 3D Experience that Brings Life to the Artwork – The world and story inside the card is released by the power of the player in this special virtual experience. You can summon the legendary Dragon Spirit depicted on the cards right before your eyes.
- First Public Release of Artwork from World Guide – For the first time, see over 30 items of unpublished material from the Wizards of the Coast Development Studio World Guide. This is sure to be an exhibition that fans will savor.
- A Community Gathering in the Magic World – In the “Octagonal Pavilion”, you can gather a variety of Magic-related information. Whether you are a new player or a long-time fan, you can come together here interact with each other.
Visitors of the exhibit that view all 134 pieces can fill up a form on the official exhibit website to join a promotional campaign where five winners will be chosen at random to receive a B2 size poster autographed by Tetsuo Hara.
Fans can experience the virtual exhibit at the official exhibit website either through their PC or VR device. They can also visit one of the VR exhibitions at select WPN (Wizards Play Network) stores in the country, which we’ve listed below:
- Block 101 Hobbies Store G/F Royal Plaza Building, #14, Domingo M. Guevara, Highway Hills, Mandaluyong, 1550
- Regran Toys and Collectibles ETON Cyberpod Corinthian, UGS 56, Ortigas Avenue, Quezon City, 1110
- Neutral Grounds – Glorietta Glorietta 2 Level 3 Ayala Center, Glorietta- space# 3011, Makati City, 1223
- Neutral Grounds – Centris Walk Centris Walk, Eton Centris, Edsa cor. Quezon Ave, Centris-1E, Quezon City, 1100
- Davao Magic Shop Torres St. corner Lacson Burgos St., Obrero, Davao City, 8000
More information on the Magic: The Gathering Virtual Art Exhibition – Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty can be found on the official exhibit website.